Oceano Elementary is the First Awarded School in the Country
The League of American Bicyclists recognized Oceano Elementary with a Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Business (BFBSM) award, making them the first Gold Level K-12 in the country! There are 2 Silver-level high schools, one silver-level elementary and 1 Silver-level public school district.
With the announcement of 59 new and renewing BFBs today, Oceano Elementary joins a cutting-edge group of 1,315 local businesses, government agencies, and Fortune 500 companies in 49 states and Washington, D.C., that are transforming the American workplace.
“The business community’s investment in bicycling is playing a central role
in making the country a safer, happier, and more sustainable place to live
and work,” said Amelia Neptune, Director of the Bicycle Friendly America
program. “We applaud this new round of businesses, including Oceano
Elementary, for leading the charge in creating a bicycle-friendly America
Oceano Elementary is extremely proud of the bicycle community they have created. The school has the leading bike program in San Luis Obispo County. Here are a list of some of the activities that the school provides to our students and community:
- Monthly Bike to School Days (incentive prizes given to participating students.)
- After school bike club - called the Bike Posse. We ride twice a month after school (7 miles total) to get ice cream.
- Bike cleaning and maintenance opportunities both before and after school (the school provides tools, tubes, parts, cleaning supplies and help for students to fix and clean their bikes.)
- Free bikes given to students who cannot afford bikes through donations from the local "Honor Farm" (correctional facility), and community members.
- Students who do not have bikes can participate in cycling activities with 20 loaner bikes available at the school.
- Bike safety instruction at least once a month.
To apply or learn more about the BFB program, visit the League online.
Bike Posse Parking on campus
About the Bicycle Friendly America Program
To learn more about building a Bicycle Friendly America, including the Bicycle Friendly CommunitySM, Bicycle Friendly StateSM, Bicycle Friendly BusinessSM and Bicycle Friendly UniversitySM programs visit www.bikeleague.org/BFA.
The League of American Bicyclists is leading the movement to create a Bicycle Friendly America for everyone. As leaders, our commitment is to listen and learn, define standards and share best practices to engage diverse communities and build a powerful, unified voice for change.
Oceano Elementary has many other achievements as well!
Oceano Elementary also has many other notable achievements. Since 2015, they have been making improvements to their school and earned a $500 grant from PG&E through CCGBC’s Gateway to Green Schools Program.
Click here to see a statistical display of Oceano's achievements at large!