GRID Alternatives is a nonprofit organization that brings the benefits of solar technology to communities that would not otherwise have access, providing needed savings for families, preparing workers for jobs in the fast-growing solar industry, and helping clean our environment. Our core program is the Solar Affordable Housing Program, where we train and lead community volunteers and job trainees from all walks of life to install solar power on qualifying homes. Visit us at www.gridalternatives.org for additional info.
GRID Alternatives Inland Empire in Riverside, CA is offering an unpaid Solar Construction Internship to support our program, operations, and staff. This is an exciting opportunity that will give you experience in non-profit work, community development, and the renewable energy sector while adding to your resume and network. You will work with staff members and stakeholders, such as partners, volunteers, and homeowners, while receiving mentoring and exposure to all aspects of the GRID Alternatives mission.
Activities for this internship will include, but are not limited to:
1. Lead and continue to develop warehouse inventory and tool management and organization
2. Assist Construction staff in staging, loading, and unloading equipment
3. Assist Construction staff at installations of solar electric systems
4. Assist Construction staff with system design site visits
5. Help with permitting and permit coordination
6. Help receive equipment pickups and deliveries
7. Make hardware store runs and pickups as needed
8. Data entry in Excel and our CRM database (SalesForce.com) and create reports
9. Print, scan, photocopy, and file documents
10. Other job duties as needed to make solar happen for low-income families in a non-profit setting
1. Three month commitment; 16-24 hours per week; at least 2 consecutive days
2. Available mornings and ability to lift at least 50 lbs
3. Construction knowledge/experience
4. Superior professional written and verbal communications skills
5. Strong skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Gmail (email, calendar, GoogleDocs) and databases
6. Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and decision-making skills
7. Self-starter and ability to work independently as well as in a team
8. Flexibility and willingness to embrace change, go the extra mile, and bring ideas and energy to rapidly evolving organization
9. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
10. Available: exact start and end dates are negotiable
Preferred skills and qualifications:
1. Previous volunteer experience with GRID Alternatives
2. Experience in training and/or working with volunteers
3. PV system installation experience
4. Interest in and enthusiasm for renewable energy, community development, green jobs and/or helping families and communities in need
5. Willingness to work on evenings and weekends
6. Bilingual/biliterate in Spanish and English
This is an unpaid internship with GRID Alternatives in exchange for a good reference, corporate and non-profit networking opportunities, authentic work experience, and the opportunity to work with professional staff. This internship position is crucial to the success of GRID Alternatives’ program.
Office is located in Riverside. A portion of the work for this position may be conducted at sites located throughout the Inland Empire.
Travel and Work Schedule
This position may require work on weekends as well as travel throughout Riverside and San Bernardino Counties. GRID Alternatives provides travel reimbursement, but applicant must hold a valid driver’s license and possess a reliable vehicle.
This is an unpaid internship, however benefits include real world, professional experience, references, and networking.
Exact start and end dates are negotiable.
Position open until filled
Submit resume and cover letter at www.gridalternatives.org/jobs. Click on the IE Solar Construction Intern link. Be sure to specify your preferred internship start and end dates in the cover letter. Please do not email or call GRID Alternatives.
GRID Alternatives is an equal opportunity employer.